Yesterday was the big day. Time to make the jam. I had picked a total of 21 pounds of strawberries earlier in the summer. I had them all chopped and frozen specifically for this purpose. Last summer was when my mom taught me how to make jam. (Click on the link for a pretty detailed documentation of the process.)
Prepping the berries ahead of time definitely helped. There’s no way we would have made as much if we would have started the process from the beginning all on one day. We ended up making a total of six batches. That’s 54 jars of jam. Yikes!
We started off with plain strawberry. We figured we’d start with the basic one to make sure we remembered what we were doing. We did 2 batches of that. Next was the Strawberry Rhubarb. This was my favorite from last year. We did 2 batches of that. At this point we were only about 2 hours into our endeavor. Guess what? We need more jars and we’ve still got strawberries.
So my mom took a trip to get more jars and sugar while I melted the wax and sealed the jars that we had done so far. I have a friend that made jam with strawberries and blueberries. So my mom also got a few pints of blueberries.
So batch number five was sort of winging it. We used 4 cups of strawberries and 2 cups of blueberries. It turned out great! It is this beautiful purpley color. It still tastes like strawberries, but a deeper flavor. Thumbs up on that experiment.
Batch number six ended up being made with what we had left over. We still had 4 cups of strawberries. But we had 1 cup each of rhubarb and blueberries. When I was telling my mom which jars were which, I mis-spoke and accidentally said, “Strawberry Bluebarb” when referring to this batch. I think it’s a perfect name. It tastes like batch #5 but has some tangy-ness from the rhubarb. Yum!
I suppose I need to get some bread now…